Friday, August 20, 2010

Playing in the rain.....

When Kjerstin woke up from her nap today, she looked at Dad and said, "I just have to get used to this. This is my life now." Dad said, "No you don't have to get used to this. You need to get up and work hard at your therapy so you can go back to your normal life!" She said, "Ok. I will." She is getting there....slowly & painfully, but she is getting there.

Tonight, at Old Settlers, it was different. I would just look around and the sounds & noises were there but they were a blur. Life is just so different now. I don't think I can even explain it. Mom wasn't there. Kjerstin wasn't there. The first time since I can remember...ever....they weren't there! They will be next year, but still.....it was just an eerie reminder of what has happened. Every year the three of us go to the arts & crafts together. I tried. I walked around in somewhat of a daze though. Maybe tomorrow will be easier. Kjerstin did call me while I was walking through. Four times, actually. Crying. Telling me, "Mom says I hit my head. What happened? Why? Why me?" and so on... Maybe that's why it was so hard. I don't know. I think part of it is because for the first time in almost 8 weeks I wasn't at the hospital and I wasn't working or doing something that had to do with Kjerstin's accident. I was trying to relax, I think. I think I felt a little guilty. How do I have the right to be out trying to enjoy myself when my baby sister is learning to walk & chew & remember who she is? It's just not right. I was trying to work at the booth we have for her, selling t-shirts & buttons, but it's almost too hard to do.

However, Kjerstin and Mom played in the rain today! Kjerstin called me 3 times this morning and was very upset, so I told her to have Mom go take her out to play in the rain!! She liked it! She got past her melt down & they went on and did therapy. Have you played in the rain lately? Have you let your kids? Maybe it's time you did! I know you have, Jerimiah. I loved the pictures! Oh to be a child again & to play in the rain. The innocence of children....... and to think my sister almost didn't get to play in the rain again! As I was thinking about this today, I realized something. You don't have to be a child to play in the rain! Just look at Mom! If there is one thing she taught us, it's that you can have fun no matter what you are doing! find the good in the situation she always said. For those of you who know her, you are smiling as you read this & you are all thinking of different times when my mother was being goofy and not really acting like an adult should. But that's Mom! And that's one of the reasons we love her so! Having that crazy, silly, fly by the seat of your pants personality is actually very good for Kjerstin right now with what she is going through. When Kjerstin gets upset, Mom will stand up and start singing "Skinamarink" and dancing & there is no way you can keep from laughing! It's the most ridiculous thing you have ever seen. But, Kjerstin loves it! She just smiles & smiles. No wonder all the little kids love Mom. I've always joked that one day I will get Mom raised. But deep down, I really don't want her to change. She needs to stay Crazy Linda - The lady that would sacrifice anything to help someone else out. Thanks Mom. Thanks for teaching us, by example, what it means to love others, even when they don't deserve it! Kjerstin will be fine. Mom & Dad & the rest of us will sacrifice whatever needed to get Kjerstin well again!

Please come by her booth at the park. We are on the north side down by the bandstand. We have 400 shirts & bracelets we need to sell to help start making renovations to Mom & Dad's house for when Kjerstin comes home! We have to be able to make their house wheelchair accessible. I had no idea how much we were going to have to change!

Please Pray, Pray, Pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment